Sunday, May 21, 2017

Artist of the Week -- Brooke Warner




IMG_7571.JPG

This year in Studio Art 2 I wanted to do something different, unique, and something more “me”. I looked in books, magazines, and online to try to give me a starting point on what to do. I started by just looking up quotes and jotting them all down because I knew I wanted to do something along that line. After a week or so of brainstorming I finally found something I would absolutely love to do. I decided to make a series of canvases. So far I have made three very unique and eye popping canvases. The first canvas I decided to name “What is a Life Without Coffee”. This canvas is all about coffee and my love for it. The second canvas I titled “Bright Colors, Happy Life”. This canvas is full with bright colors and designs and almost impossible not to grab everyone’s eye. The last canvas I decided to make was definitely my favorite that I hold close to my heart. This canvas is, “ Nothing but Memories and Good Times”. This canvas is all about my best friend and I, and just some of our many pictures and memories we have made together.
First I got used canvases and a bin full of crazy recycled materials that would just go to use if no one uses them. I then glued the whole entire canvas and picked about twenty things from the bin, or anything that looked interesting to me around the room, and started to collage randomly to fill the entire canvas. I picked random designs, wallpaper, 3D objects, etc. to fill my canvas, except for my last one which I used pictures I printed off of me and my best friend, Sarah. After I was done collaging I decided to use acrylic paint and just go crazy with the colors. I thought it would be really cool to have some designs show through the paint, so I used the paint with a mixture of water to make it very thin to make that possible. After my colors were down I then chose a quote that I thought would fit perfectly with the canvas. For my first one, “What is a Life Without Coffee” I used the quote, “Love a Latte”. For this canvas I drew a picture of a coffee cup which really made this canvas stick out. For my second canvas “Bright Colors, Happy Life” I used the quote, “Be Happy, Be Bright, Be You”. I made this canvas all rainbow colored. I think this quote fit perfectly with the colors I used. I then made the word “BRIGHT” in a neon yellow outlined with a green to really make that my focal point of this entire thing. My last canvas “Nothing but Memories and Good Times” I picked out the quote, “Friends are Like Four Leaf Clovers; Hard to Find, Lucky to Have”. The pictures I chose to collage on this canvas are some are my favorite pictures and ones that hold the best memories. I used her favorite colors to go over the pictures, but also made it so you could still see the pictures through the paint. My artwork expresses personal issues in every piece of art I do. Whether it’s just my love for coffee, the happiness in my life, or my best friend, they all mean something very special to me. Through my artwork I try to show nothing but happy emotions because despite the obstacles in life, I truly feel I have a perfect life and I hope other people can feel this way too by looking at my artwork.
IMG_7568.JPG
While making these pieces of art I didn’t just make them to make them. I had goals I wanted to reach and achieve through them. My goal was to make sure when people looked at my art they pulled a main point from it. My goal was to have a focal point in every canvas that would really stand out to people as soon as they saw it and take something away with them. I think I reached my goals very successfully. In all three of my canvases I have a main focus to every one of them. The first one was coffee, which I then drew a coffee cup to really help bring it to life. My second one which was to just be happy, I really bolded the word “BRIGHT” and used nothing but bright colors to show anyone can have a happy life if you just be you and fill your life with nothing but the brightest things. My last one was you should always hold your friends close to your heart because they are hard to find now a days. I also made the word “FRIENDS” stick out from all the rest of the words to show that’s what it is truly about. After seeing how all of the pieces turned out I immediately just wanted to keep making more and more. While making these I learned to just let your mind roam free and use your imagination. I learned to not be scared to try new things and just let your thoughts out and your hand go free. When I first started making these I figured they’d be just another little project that I end up chucking in my drawer, but they turned out so much better than I ever imagined. I wanted something different, unique, and “me” and that is exactly what I got! I’m very pleased with how they all turned out individually, some more than the other, but all together I think they look great. I will definitely keep making these canvases and continuing a series, and I know they will get better and I will be more impressed canvas by canvas.
IMG_7572.JPG
Three studio habits of mind that really helped me throughout the whole year was, Express, Stretch and Explore, and Understand the Art World. Express is when your artwork clearly conveys an idea, mood, or place that expresses some part of you. All of my artwork expresses a special part of me in some way, whether it’s an animal, a sport, a quote, etc., every piece of my art shows an awareness of other viewers. Stretch and Explore is when you take risks in your art making and learn from the mistakes you make and persuading your peers with new ways to make art. I took a lot of risks and tried so many new things with my art this year. I wasn’t scared of anything and just let my hand and mind go free. When one of my peers checked out my collages she immediately wanted to make one because it was really different and she thought it was unique. Last, Understand the Art World is when you discover aspects of artwork from other artists that you may have missed before. The three of my latest artworks were completely discovered recently when I was just flipping through a book to get ideas and found an artist that did something very unique and different. I never thought I’d be interested in art like that, but when I discovered it and looked more into it I became very interested. Discovering new art is really fun and can give you the greatest ideas. Studio habits of the mind are very important and useful when creating art and can help you reflect on yourself and your artwork.

Choose Happy (acrylic)

No comments:

Post a Comment