Sunday, April 2, 2017

Artist of the Week -- Alexis McDermott



One of my most recent pictures named ¨Elephant in the Room¨ is a more rugged type of look. There is an elephant posing next to a bottle filled with dark liquid. But on the other side of the bottle is a full bloom flower. A lot of elements were used in this picture. I wanted to create maybe an impression of a flawlessly, wild imagination of mesmerizing objects, and represent a social issue at the same time.
   
I applied multiple techniques using pen and ink, by making smooth straight lines, and applying more coats in certain areas where it was needed.  I would say that it turned out the way I wanted it to.

My artwork has a meaning to it, maybe only some people can see it, for example -- the elephant. The original meaning of the “elephant in the room” is an idiom for an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss. The bottle of dark liquid represents the bottled up, problems, and issues, that no one wants to let out. And the flower stand for what happens when you discuss the bad things about life, and it leads to clarity, and positive vibes. 

I did reach a small goal, which was to overcome something I didn’t know I could. Pen & Ink didn’t sound very pleasing to me. But I did it, and I feel accomplished of myself.
Overall, I think I did a good job and I may even consider doing pen and ink again.
The Elephant in the Room (pen and ink)

No comments:

Post a Comment