Sunday, March 12, 2017

Artist of the Week -- Donna Cardona



Vintage Vibes
For this project, I decided to draw a photo of my Aunt Lisa. I was scouring through some old photos and I found this picture of her and I instantly became intrigued with the photo. I liked how she was the main focus. The background was black, which made her stand out even more. Also, her smile looked so genuine. I chose to name this drawing, “Vintage Vibes”. Vintage meaning- the past. When I look at the original picture, I can tell that it is from another time. The style is different and it brought joy to me when I began to recreate the photo.
Working with pen and ink was quite different for me. I wasn’t necessarily scared to try something new, I just wasn’t sure if I was going to get the hang of it. My first few strokes were a bit rough, but towards the end I began to improve and use better techniques. Over time, I learned to embrace the flaws of my drawing. It just gives it some character. Although I  was slightly irritated when ink dripped on my project, I either covered it with white-out, or I just made it appear to be intentional.
Usually my pieces of art connect to sadness in one way or another, but I decided to switch things up a bit and relate this drawing to the idea of carefreeness. The idea behind this was brought about due to my aunt’s authentic smile. This photo makes it look as if she doesn’t have a care in the world. She seems relaxed and filled with pure happiness.
At the end of this project, I decided that it doesn’t matter how many mistakes I made. Or how many times I wanted to give up and call it “good”. I finished this project and it helped me become a better artist. I gained experience with pen and ink and I learned that every blemish just made the drawing my own. This helped me reach my goal because I’ve always longed to go a bit out of my comfort zone and just go ahead to make something original.
Overall, the finished product is relatively similar to how I imagined it. It wasn’t even close to perfect, but it was my first time working with pen and ink, so I didn’t expect to create a masterpiece. Hopefully this project will prevent me making the similar mistakes and will prepare me for future pieces.
Original Photo:
  Drawing:



No comments:

Post a Comment