Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Artist of the Week -- Jeffrey Freeman


Unwrapping the Ink (pen and ink)

For my art project I drew a Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar that has a large bite taken out. If I had to give it a title I would pick Unwrapping the Ink. I did a chocolate bar because it is something that everyone can recognize, if someone sees the picture then they may crave a chocolate bar or have good memories of eating one.
I started by taking a picture of a chocolate bar with my phone, then I printed out the picture and created a graph to transfer it onto a larger piece of paper by pencil. The majority of my drawing was done with a pen using cross hatching and for the really dark parts I used a paintbrush to fill the ink all the way in.
I drew a chocolate bar because I saw how simple it looked but also how pleasant it was to see the smooth brown texture. It’s just supposed to catch the eye with the look of uniqueness that the pen makes.
My main goal for my picture was to make it look as real as I could get it with the pen and ink. Another goal that I developed halfway through creating it was to improve my skills with a nib pen and I feel like I accomplished it.
             Overall I feel that my artwork turned out better than I thought it would. It was huge challenge at first because I’ve never used pen and ink but I felt like I needed to learn. On the rest of my art projects I will try to take more time and care into preparing everything perfectly so that I can keep improving. You could say I unwrapped the challenges I faced using a pen and learned to “eat it” without effort in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment