Sunday, January 22, 2017

Artist of the Week -- Suzanna Searles


A Day in the Life (acrylic)
Honorable Mention Painting
Scholastic Art Awards

Artist Statement By Suzanna Searles
The first piece of art that I did was Figment, a charcoal drawing of a still life including a clay sculpture, a roll of tape, a piggy bank, and an eraser next to a blending stump. This sort of brought me out of my element because I prefer acrylic painting over charcoal pencil drawing because I prefer smoother things like painting. For me I like to take my time with my drawings and with this I just wanted to get it done and over with because I didn’t really favor it too much. This honestly took me a good amount of time to do because of the different shades and shadows and glares from the items in the drawing.
Figment (charcoal)
With my artwork I love painting so the majority of my pieces are acrylic. I like acrylic because I like to capture the details of the picture, but the things  I like to paint are scenery pictures and animals to capture their beauty and details. For instance, with my rabbit painting I tried to capture everything about the picture especially with the texture of the fur of the rabbit because of the detail I need for it to look realistic. Honestly I struggled a little bit because I couldn't seem to get it to look like the picture but I got closer to getting it. I started to use different techniques for it and I’m starting to get the hang of it because it’s not too difficult,  but I’m definitely going to use these techniques for other projects.
I’ve always loved to draw since I was younger like since I was 9. I’ve always loved sports, but then picked up a love for art and it’s great -- I love it! With my artwork it’s all from my photos and my photos only and I get my inspiration from photos of nature and animals because of how real it is. With my photos I take them from eye point of view because that’s the way I like to take my photos. With some of my photos I take them from a bird’s eye view because they look so neat and and fascinating and it captures the beauty of the picture. With my pictures of animals since I love animals I love to capture their beauty and uniqueness and it can be incredible what you capture.
Nature (acrylic)

My goals for my artwork was to finish at least 2-3 paintings before Christmas but I had to extend it by a month or so because it became a little more difficult with the colors and trying to get them exact. I at least want to get a couple pencil drawings in before the end of the year. Maybe I'll do the pen and ink project because I've been wanting to do it for a while now but haven’t found the time to do it. If I work on my paintings during my free time more I could possibly accomplish my goal.
Overall I think I'm doing really well on my paintings because I've gotten positive feedback from others on my paintings and I feel confident about them so I'm happy about it. I’ll keep up the good work I definitely know that so I'm excited to finish them most definitely because I like them and  I want to do more paintings like these ones that I'm doing right now.
With my art work I used my cellphone to take a picture of me and my friend with a soccer ball because we were practicing for a huge soccer tournament we had coming up so I saw that and it had me intrigued. My artwork looks like a representation of my life and what I mean by that is that it states that I try to live it up to the fullest. I used color, line, shape, and texture.
My artwork was made from my phone. I used my friend to help with the idea and I used paint and I did scumbling and splatter painting for the grass. I did a lot of processes like first I would start off painting certain layers at a time one by one.
I was wondering if there is anything for me to do else to it or if I need any improvement on my work with colors or techniques. My work expresses that I have a passion for soccer. I didn’t really try to express any emotion because I don’t really know how to in that picture.
My goals as an artist are to do at least 2 or 3 more paintings by the end of the year. This piece helped me reach my goals because I’ve already done at least 4 paintings this year and that made it one more closer to my goal.
I have learned that it takes a lot of patience to paint especially with all of the detail that my subjects had. The final piece came out better than what I imagined because I didn’t think that I would get the detail that I had gotten. This piece will influence me to keep painting anything that I am up, for no matter the challenge it gives me!

No comments:

Post a Comment