Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Artist of the Week -- Madison Smith


The name of my mermaid drawing is Imagination. I chose that as a title because mermaids are a mythical creature. In the actual photo I worded from, it was a picture of me on rocks at a beach, but I thought it would be cool to paint a mermaid instead because I wanted it to be more unrealistic. I created the picture by drawing the outline of the objects lightly first, and continuing to go more into detail as I progressed.  I painted a fair skinned mermaid with bright hair and gauged ears to go against stereotypes. I did this because your average mermaid with sun kissed skin and brown/blonde hair was not appealing to me. I like the idea of her having rainbow, fluorescent hair and gauged ears a lot more, and I did it in hopes that people who choose to gauge their ears or dye their hair crazy colors will be more accepted. My goals for my mermaid painting is that it isn't so realistic looking and that it doesn't look like an average mermaid. My overall thoughts on my mermaid painting is that I am very content on how it turned out and I would not change anything about it.

Imagination (watercolor)
Yin Yang (acrylic)


In the Stars (acrylic)



No comments:

Post a Comment