Monday, December 21, 2015

Artist of the Week: Rachel Hutchison


The House of a Friend (acrylic)
I painted a sunset that I took a picture of at my friend's house. It's important to me because it resembles the good times I have with my friend and all the cool things we get to see together. I have grown closer to this friend over the past couple years and it's a nice reminder of how close we have become. This project didn't turn out as awesome as I thought it would be. I'm usually good at painting and I like to do it, but this sunset was pretty difficult for me. The detail of the scattered clouds was hard and I tried to blend multiple colors together, but it just didn't work out. Next time, I will pay more attention to detail and try new techniques. I should ask more questions and take more chances. 


Looking Up (watercolor)
 
I named this painting Looking Up because I took this picture from the ground, looking up into the fall leaves. This painting was of all of the fall colors in the leaves above me. I used techniques such as wet on wet, layered wash, opaque, puddle painting, lifting, fan brush, and sgrafitto. Also, this painting was done in watercolor. The subject matter of this painting is trees branching out and showing their beautiful autumn leaves. I used my love for the fall season as an inspiration to create this painting. I took this picture after a leaf fell right in front of me as I was walking through the cemetery. I picked it up, looked at it, then looked up into the thousands of other colorful leaves that were right above me. The most important thing I learned from making this watercolor painting is that you can't be afraid to try new things when painting. There were many times that I tried something and it didn't end up looking the way I wanted it to, instead, it made something even cooler. 
Micrograph (marker)
My original photograph expressed my personality well because I'm usually in a good mood or smiling. I used lots of quotes that have significant meaning to me and song lyrics that I like. I have single words that express my physical appearance of my hair, eye color, height, etc. Some of the words I used also show my personality or traits. I made this micrograph by tracing over my face from the original picture to the new piece of paper. I then went over top of the lines with words or phrases with pencil and eventually went over them with sharpie. I decided to darken some parts more than others using different text sizes and boldness. The last step was erasing away all of the pencil marks. I feel okay about this picture because some of the parts of my face look messed up, but I still had fun doing the  project. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment