Saturday, November 21, 2015

Artist of the Week: Richard West


This drawing mainly branches from my odd sense of humor, and how the line Steal like an Artist out of context or apart from background information does sound genuinely funny.  I took a couple photos of my friend pretending to steal this book from the art room -- for the sense of irony. These wouldn't send, so I used a photo of me looking shady and added the book to it. The book itself was written by Austin Kleon and it has a lot of good points that I agree with in terms of plagiarism, the creative process, and the approach to creating. I think the drawing is a good representation of what the book stand for, because I'm "taking" the book and adding my own spin on it, via, a joke.  Overall I enjoyed working on it and I like how it turned out.
Steal Like an Artist (colored pencil)
Photo reference for Steal Like an Artist

Walk in the Fog (pencil)
While I do like admiring all forms of art, I do occasionally attempt to make it. Some reasons why would extend to expression or the sheer pride I feel when I make something that I put a lot of work, effort, and passion into. This specific project in question did turn out the way I expected, not as good as the original picture but not really bad, besides the fact that I did rush through it and I'm not the greatest at shading. But I am proud of it none the less, mainly because of how the tree turned out and the fog in the background looks. 
Console Wars (colored pencil and marker)

While I was jotting down ideas for an old and new combination I came across many like Ancient Egypt and Metal Gear, Man of Bat (long story) in caveman drawings, and Dr. Doom (mainly my profile picture) and the Sphinx. After a couple days I decided to mash up the "Console War" between the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis and the Civil War between the Union and the Confederates. I decided to go for a more cartoon-ish art style mainly because I didn't want to draw every soldier advanced detail otherwise it would take me far longer than it needed to. Overall I enjoy the idea in general and I really liked how the whole thing turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment