Thursday, October 8, 2015

Artist of the Week: Lauren Galasso

Lauren Galasso was recently recognized for her artwork at the Apple & Cheese Festival in Canton, PA.  She was awarded the Red Ribbon for her drawing Magic Kingdom.  Below are two of her artworks and Artists Statements she has written.


I drew a picture of Cinderella's castle from a photo I took o a trip to Disney. I was inspired by how intricate the castle was.  I felt like if I drew this, it would make me a better artist. This piece is very important to me because I worked so hard on it. The drawing took me about three weeks to finish. I worked on it during my study hall as well as at home every night. The project turned out much better than I originally expected. I can not believe it actually looks good!
Magic Kingdom 
@Leo #selfie

"At first this assignment threw me off a little. I mean, how was I supposed to combine something from ancient times and pop culture? By using the creative process I was able to come up with a really good idea.
I started by finding inspiration in Leonardo da Vinci's self portrait and today's version of a self-portrait -- a selfie.  Soon after I began sketching out my ideas until I finally got it the way I wanted it. As I worked on my picture, I asked other classmates for their opinions and added details as needed. I presented my artwork to my class and Dr. Wales. Reflecting back on my mindset before I started this project and where I am now, I'm very proud of how well it turned out." 



2 comments: