Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Artist of the Week: Erica Hutchison

"I always try to challenge myself because I feel it helps me to learn and become better.  I prefer drawing in pencil because I think you can capture lots of detail that way.  I don’t just think of a drawing as another assignment.  Drawing and art have always been a big part of my life.  When I am asked why I love art, I simply am speechless.  There truly are no words to explain why art is my passion, other than I feel that art is the talent God gave me.  I am not exaggerating when I say that art is my life and until the day I die, it always will be.   
"There’s a beauty in perfecting my work to be as real as a photograph.  I know it doesn’t look as realistic as I’d like, but I dream that someday I will be able to do so.   For now, it is crucial that I take my time and capture every shade I find while drawing an image.   I am always working on it.  It may feel like it is taking a long time, but in the end it’s always worth it.  With every drawing, I learn from my mistakes.   I wouldn’t be where I am right now without making mistakes they help me discover new skills."
Charlie (pencil)

"I found inspiration for my current art project (below)  from the television show, American Horror Story, which I love.  I chose the character Dandy Mott.  He is a spoiled, rich mamma’s boy who is convinced that his duty on earth is to kill.  We had to mix modern day and ancient things together.  What better than to put together the opposite of each other, a psychotic killer and a saint of the Old Testament."  

St. Dandy (pencil, work in progress) 







1 comment:

  1. Discovered you all from a Gurney Journey post. As a 74 year old artist who owes all I am to my high school art teacher, Mrs. Hoffmann, keep this up and all will be well. What you all are achieving is impressive. Jody Bryan

    ReplyDelete